Monday, November 17, 2008

In the kitchen

Food is really important our house. Above it our cornbread from tonight's dinner. I just love cast iron pans. We cook nearly everything in our cast irons. We use them for sauteing and frying, but I also love them for cooking pizza (the crust gets so crisp) and if all else fails they also make a great weapon. I have never used my cast iron in anger, but my grandmother had a great story that she used to tell about using one to lay someone out. It is also the weapon of choice for one of my daughters favorite heroines, Tiffany, in the Wee Free Men.
This is one of the last vine ripened Brandywine (the queen of tomato varieties in my opinion) tomato. The end of tomato season always makes me so sad. I know that I am spoiled but, I can't stand those fake tomato's that they sell in the super market.

4 comments:

Amy Hodge said...

I am totally with you on the tomatoes! Since I moved to Mountain View and tasted fresh tomatoes at the farmers' market, I can't bear to buy those anemic-looking things at the grocery store! Do you have to use a lot of oil for the cast iron? I've never owned one, but they sure make food sound yummy.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

I love cast iron, too! Never thought of pizza in it! Great idea. Always make cornbread in it, which I better get to for Thanksgiving stuffing!

suburban farm said...

I don't find that I use more oil with cast iron once they are well seasoned. Now you can buy cast iron pans pre-seasoned, but I would still make sure that you used plenty of oil the first few times that you used it. Seasoning raw cast iron in the oven is not that hard, but it can get a little messy. Maybe this weekend I will post pics of my of my other cast iron pans in action.

Anonymous said...

I love cast iron! I have a large collection (frying pans in 5 sizes, a dutch oven, and a long flat pan that covers two burners, and a corn stick pan.) I'm always looking for it at garage sales, people sell rusty old pans for a dollar and they clean up so easily! Right now I"m looking for a dutch oven with feet as I do nearly all my summer/fall cooking outdoors.