Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sewing Machine Review

It is sewing machine month over at Sew Mama Sew and one of the things they have done is ask bloggers to review their personal sewing machine on their blog by answering these questions. So here is mine.

What brand and model do you have?

Singer 15-91. My sewing machine is (much) older than I am!

How long have you had it?

About 3 years

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

I got mine locally of of Craigslist. I can't remember how much I paid, but I know that is was more than $150 and less than $259

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

I have made a few quilt tops on it and machine quilted one baby quilt on it, I have made a number of skirts and several Halloween costume. I have also made a few bags and throw pillows with it.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I tend to sew in spurts, but I would say I average and hour or two a week.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I love her because with the proper needle she can sew through anything. I suspect that with the right needle I could sew through steel on this machine;)

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

Features? My machine does exactly two things, it sews forward and backwards. However, for the easily frustrated it's lack of feature could be considered a feature. I did purchase an old singer buttonholer for it, but I need to fiddle with is a bit to get it working.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?


When first got my machine I used to have a lot of trouble with the tread breaking on me. I used it even with this problem for about six month until I notice in the manuel (amazingly enough the woman that sold it to me had a manuel for it) that I had been treading it wrong. I just assumed that the woman who sold it to me knew how to thread it. It turns out that she had it all wrong.

The only other thing that used to bug me it that it was horrible with knits, however last year my thought full hubby bought be a serger so now I am all set.


Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

When I went to the sewing machine shop last year to look at sergers the salesman asked me what kind of sewing machine that I used. He was shocked, aparently one does not serger that cost a bundle of money and a sewing machine that ones grandma could have used. He was even more shocked when I told him that was quite happy with my machine and felt no need to upgrade.


Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

Yes, because it is extremely durable and hardworking. Oh... and it is cheap. Even it I had a brand new machine I would still keep this one.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

That it not be a new machine.

Do you have a dream machine?

I may break down and buy a Singer Featherweight some day because I can see the advantage of having portable machine.

No comments: